What skillsets are important for Sonographers?
The World Federation for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology (WFUMB) summarized the core skillset for ultrasound technicians:
- DO you like people? You must like working with all types of people from various backgrounds, ages; stages of illness; and/or physical limitations.
- Empathy for patients is essential. Even though you might be working in a fast paced/stressful trauma environment you must always put the patient and their needs first.
- Excellent customer service, care, and concern for others in all kinds of situations are part of essential people skills needed for success on the job.
- A strong background in physics, mathematics, and physical laws are important to maximize the operation of the Ultrasound equipment to aid in the best possible diagnosis for the patient.
- Sonographers must possess a deep understanding of the English language in spoken and written form; as well as good listening and critical thinking skills.
- The Sonographer must be able to lift and move equipment and patients of various sizes and shapes; along with good physical coordination, hearing and eyesight.
- Knowledge of the human body in health and disease; cross sectional anatomy in normal and abnormal states; drugs/drug properties and interactions; sterile technique and infection control; CPR; computers and computer based information system expertise are critical career skills needed on the job.
- An investigative mind, attention to detail, along with problem solving skills are keys to becoming a top notch Sonographer.
- Maintaining confidentiality and not violating any ethical boundaries and in full compliance with HIPAA regulations are critical in this profession.
- Working with patients who may have infectious diseases or exposure to disease are also a part of the job.
- Good judgment well as how and when to use appropriate personal protection devices, proper hand washing, and keeping the equipment clean to protect you and the patient are other important skill sets.
- Previous health care certifications and experience are also a plus.