American Marching Band Music
To apply, students must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a high school senior in the 2016-2017 school year.
- You must be a member of your high school marching band from the time of application through the Bowl performance on January 8th, 2017.
- You must be in good standing with your school and community,
- You must be an American citizen. (Legal residents with appropriate documentation will be considered)
- You must commit to your availability in San Antonio, TX from Monday January 2, 2017 through Sunday January 8, 2017.
Qualified students must execute the following steps:
- Visit to create an online profile. This profile will individualize your audition for the section you are applying for and it will make the process simple. Everything is uploaded online!
- Complete a School Information Packet, which includes a principal/administrator/counselor recommendation, Selection Tour Event Information form, and a note excusing your absence from school due to the USAAAMB performance.
- Write a biography of 400 characters INCLUDING SPACES.
- Provide your school NCES Number which can be found online by searching “[Your School Name] NCES Number”
- General contact information and details for yourself, your guardians and your band director, and band program.
- Provide a web link via YouTube or separate video of your band performing a portion field show at a rehearsal, competition, football game etc. We need this content in order to know that you have marched drill before or understand how a field show operates. The quality of your band will not impact your audition.
- Film your audition videos as outlined below by section.
Audition Video Requirements by Section
Marching Instruments – Piccolo, Clarinet, Alto & Tenor Saxophone, Trumpet, Mellophone, Trombone, Baritone, Sousaphone, Snare Drum, Tenor Drum, and Bass Drum
- Self-Introduction – spend one minute talking about who you are and your successes in and outside of marching band. Are you employed? Do you volunteer? We want to know! You may make edits and be creative with this video!
- Marching and Playing Video – Film a sample your talents with “across the floor” technique, displaying forward and backward marching as well as slides. Video length should be between 30 and 60 seconds. This is best filmed in a gym, large bandroom or outdoors. You may select any music you like to play for this video.
- Solo Video – Choose any music you would like. Perform, with sheet music if necessary. You may sit or stand, just make sure you are clearly heard. NO ACCOMPANIMENT.
Color Guard – Flag and Rifle
- Solo Audition on Flag – Spend one minute performing on flag to any music you would like.
- OPTIONAL Solo Audition on Rifle – Spend one minute performing on rifle to any music you would like. All applicants must audition and are first considered on flag.
Front Ensemble – Mallets, Bass Guitar, Drum Set, Piano
- Solo Video – Choose any music you would like. Perform, with sheet music if necessary. You may sit or stand, just make sure you are clearly heard. NO ACCOMPANIMENT and display two and four mallet technique.
- Conducting Video – Conduct a LIVE ensemble (indoor or outdoor setting) for one minute of content. You may select any piece you wish, but try to stay away from a march and select a piece that shows a variety of patterns.
Are you ready to begin your application?? Apply at:
Take your time. Prepare your music or routine, and record it when you are ready. Please note the online application and video upload deadline is May 1st, 2016. You can return to your application to edit content or replace videos until the May 1st deadline.